1. If you tend to blink in photos, close your eyes just before the picture is taken. Open them slowly before the camera clicks. Wa-la! No more half-closed eyes!
2. Blush is a must! Think of it this way, once you’ve done all that you need to your face, you’re left with a beautiful even-toned canvas—but it’s all the same color. You need some blush. Pink and coral shades give you the most youthful appearance.
3. Try this old school red carpet trick: Put your tongue behind your teeth when you smile to avoid a goofy, too-wide grin.
4. Surprise photo-op? Try this five second prep: Blot your face with a tissue or single-ply cocktail napkin, then pinch your cheeks to create a rosy glow.
5. Fill in your brows. Not only do your eyebrows convey character, they frame your face.
6. Look toward a light right before someone snaps your photo, doing so will shrink your pupils and help you avoid red eye.
7. A photo shot from just above you is way more flattering than one shot from below. If you’re taller than the person holding the camera, grab a seat.
8. To avoid a double chin, elongate your neck and push your face forward a bit. It might feel awkward, but you will look great!
9. Wear a brighter lipstick. It makes your teeth look whiter. Steer clear of dark and matte colors as they can look aging and unflattering.
10. Think about angles. Facing the camera straight on is rarely flattering; instead, turn your head to a three-quarter position to give your features depth.
11. Try the “red carpet” pose: put your hand on your hip, angle your body to the side and turn your head towards the camera.
12. Stand in front of a white wall. A light-colored backdrop will help brighten your face. It will also help a camera’s automatic settings find the right color balance, so your skin tone doesn’t end up looking too pink or yellow.
13. Forget saying “cheese,” and instead think of something funny. Better yet, joke with the photographer. A natural smile trumps a fake one every time!
#GENEJUAREZ ON INSTAGRAM!
You’re relaxed and styled to perfection, now is the best time to snap a pic! Ask your Gene Juarez artist to do the honors. They snap A LOT of selfie’s so they know where the best lighting and best backdrops are in the salon. And please, do us the honor of being included in your hashtag moment by adding #genejuarez.